A program to help teach local individuals with disabilities how to ride a conventional bike and become a lifelong independent rider will make its way to Paris and be set up from July 18-22.
iCan Shine’s iCan Bike program uses a fleet of adapted bicycles, a specialized instructional program and a trained staff to teach; and each rider will attend the same 75-minute session each day for five consecutive days, where they will be assisted and encouraged by the same two volunteer “spotters.”
Over the course of the five-day camp, the adapted bike is adjusted to gradually introduce more instability in an effort to challenge riders at their own individual pace, and the week will conclude with a touching and inspiring award ceremony.
Registration for the iCan Bike program is open to anyone ages 8 and up; no more than 220 lbs; have a disability; have an inseam measurement of at least 20”; be able to walk without assistive devices and sidestep from side to side.
“Parents, teachers and therapists describe our results as incredible. By the end of the 5-day camp, approximately 80 percent of riders learn to ride a conventional bike completely independently. The remaining 20 percent make tremendous progress toward that goal.”
To be a “spotter” for the same rider for each of the five days and experience the thrill of giving the gift of riding a bike involves 75 minutes per day, and “just may be the most rewarding exercise and emotional experience you’ve ever had.
“This camp allowed the riders to develop the skills to really do something on their own, have full control, and succeed at the enjoyable experience of riding a bike,” read one testimonial. “It was a honor to be among the new riders, and see the personal accomplishments of their stronger confidence and self-assurance.”
To volunteer, sponsor, learn more or to register, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Sponsoring one child is just $350.