Just a few days before Christmas and a family lost their home after a fire broke out late Tuesday afternoon.
Paris Fire Department was dispatched to 50 NW 23rd St. apartment at about 5:35 p.m., where flames were reportedly coming from the rear of the home. Shortly after knocking flames down, crews made entry extinguishing the remaining fire.
The fire was contained mostly in one apartment, with minor water damages to other rooms. After a primary search was given the all-clear for all apartments involved, a secondary search was performed and cleared as well.
“(The) occupant stated that they were cooking and left to take some food to a neighbor,” according to Paris Fire Department fire reports. “When they returned, the stove was on fire. They attempted to extinguish the fire with a towel but were unsuccessful. (The) occupant also stated they thought they had turned off the burner before they left. Due to fire damage it was undetermined if the burner was left on or not.”
As no one was home when the fire started, no one was reported injured, but the home was deemed a total loss. Red Cross was contacted and arrived on scene before fire crews cleared to give aid to 12 displaced occupants.