With the summer concert series now underway, The Paris Municipal Band is ready to hit the stage again tonight.
“This summer we have about 65 band members each week,” Band Director Joe Watson said, “we open each concert with ‘The Star Spangled Banner’ and close our shows with Cole Porter’s ‘I Love Paris’.”
This will be the second performance of the summer season for the band.
“In between, you will always here a variety of music from ‘Famous Marches’ by John Philip Sousa and K. L. King. We always perform a Hymn as well. The rest of the concerts feature various types of music, from classical to traditional concert band music,” he added.
There is also music from motion pictures, selections from musicals and pop or rock music that is played weekly.
Watson said there is something for everyone to enjoy at their concerts.
Tonight the band will be performing the following:
- Star Spangled Banner
- The Black Horse Troop March by John Philip Sousa
- You’re a Grand Old Flag (today is Flag Day)
- American Folk Fantasy
- A Country Lullaby
- A Childhood Hymn (Jesus Loves Me)
- Monterey March by K. L. King
- Loch Lomond (Traditional Scottish Folk Song)
- Rocky Top
- Alhambra Grotto March by K. L. King
- Highlights from The Sound of Music (The Sound of Music, My Favorite Things, Do-Re-Mi, Climb Every Mountain)
- Theme from “Game of Thrones)
- I Love Paris by Cole Porter
“Tonight will be a great concert. The band has also begun preparing for another big concert next Friday night. Our program begins promptly at 8:30 p.m. at Bywater’s Park in beautiful downtown Paris,” he said.
Of the 65 members weekly playing in the band they will be represented by high school students from Paris, NL, Chisum, Prairiland, Rivercrest playing; along with adults from Hugo, Oklahoma, Bonham, Texas and Dekalb, Texas as well.