During Friday night’s volleyball game, North Lamar’s coaches, players and parents honored fallen heroes from Afghanistan by reserving 13 front row seats.
“This is why I love every day at North Lamar,” said NL Chief of Police Mike Boaz said. “Thank you all! Our thoughts and prayers are with these families during these most difficult times.”
The remembered heroes:
- Sgt. Johanny Rosario Pichardo, 25, of Lawrence, Massachusetts, 5th Marine Expeditionary Brigade, Naval Support Activity Bahrain.
- Sgt. Nicole L. Gee, 23, of Sacramento, California, Combat Logistics Battalion 24, 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit, II Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Lejeune, North Carolina.
- Staff Sgt. Darin T. Hoover, 31, of Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Cpl. Hunter Lopez, 22, of Indio, California, a rifleman.
- Cpl. Daegan W. Page, 23, of Omaha, Nebraska, a rifleman.
- Cpl. Humberto A. Sanchez, 22, of Logansport, Indiana, a rifleman.
- Lance Cpl. David L. Espinoza, 20, of Rio Bravo, Texas, a rifleman.
- Lance Cpl. Jared M. Schmitz, 20, of St. Charles, Missouri, a rifleman.
- Lance Cpl. Rylee J. McCollum, 20, of Jackson, Wyoming, a rifleman.
- Lance Cpl. Dylan R. Merola, 20, of Rancho Cucamonga, California, a rifleman.
- Lance Cpl. Kareem M. Nikoui, 20, of Norco, California.
- Navy Corpsman Maxton W. Soviak, 22, of Berlin Heights, Ohio, assigned to 1st Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, Camp Pendleton, California.
- Staff Sgt. Ryan C. Knauss, 23, of Corryton, Tennessee. Knauss was assigned to 9th PSYOP Battalion, 8th PSYOP Group, Ft. Bragg, North Carolina.