Taco Bell has announced more changes to its menu and says goodbye to some well-known favorites. This revamping includes the removal of fan-favorites Mexican Pizza, Pico de Gallo and Shredded Chicken.
“We’re putting the finishing touches on our new streamlined menu in order to make room for new innovations,” Taco Bell said in a press release.
Though the company is removing these favorites, they are adding two new items nationwide including the chicken chipotle melt and dragonfruit freeze; regionally, green sauce; and testing in Knoxville, Tennessee, Quesalupa.
“We’re constantly evaluating ways to provide a more efficient restaurant experience, and have already begun to see progress from streamlining our menu,” said Mike Grams, Taco Bell President, Global COO. “While we know fans may be understandably sad to see some of their favorites go, this evolution of our menu truly paves the way for fresh new ideas. The creativity and innovation in our kitchen hasn’t slowed down at all, and we look forward to rolling out new fan favorites.”
These favorites will still be available until Nov. 5, 2020.
From TacoBell.com, what we’re saying goodbye to:
- Mexican Pizza: We know some fans may be sad to see this one go, we are too. One silver lining of saying goodbye to the Mexican Pizza that might help you rest easy is that removing it from our menus helps us work towards our commitment to leave a lighter footprint on our planet. Currently, Mexican Pizza packaging accounts for over 7 million pounds of paperboard material per year in the U.S.
- Pico de Gallo: Our fresh diced tomatoes will be replacing pico de gallo. Guests can still order Fresco Style, which will soon mean swapping out nacho cheese sauce, shredded cheese, mayo-based sauces, and low-fat sour cream with tomatoes. Fresco style remains a great option to reduce calories and fat, or to make an existing vegetarian item vegan.
- Shredded Chicken: Shredded chicken will no longer be a protein option on our menus, which means we will be saying goodbye to the Shredded Chicken Soft Taco, Shredded Chicken Burrito, and Shredded Chicken Quesadilla Melt on Nov. 5. Fans looking for similar options can try out our classic Chicken Quesadilla or the new Chicken Chipotle Melt.
From TacoBell.com, what we’re looking forward to:
- Chicken Chipotle Melt – A new permanent fixture on our Cravings Value Menu, featuring marinated all-white meat grilled chicken, creamy chipotle sauce, and cheddar cheese rolled and melted together. Fans can get their hands on the new Chicken Chipotle Melt starting Nov. 5.
- Dragonfruit Freeze – Introducing Taco Bell’s new Dragonfruit Freeze, a tropical frozen beverage swirled with a burst of dragonfruit flavor, available nationwide starting Sept. 24. To deliver on our contactless service, all Taco Bell freezes are now served with a flat lid.
- Green Sauce – Did your local Taco Bell previously offer green sauce as an additional customization option? Our Food Innovation Team has spent time carefully crafting a new and improved recipe, now including flavors of fire roasted green chilies, pureed jalapeño and hatch green chiles to ensure it has an extra kick that pairs perfectly with any menu item. Green sauce will be returning to select markets nationwide starting Nov. 5.
- Quesalupa – Our fan-favorite Quesalupa is finally starting its journey back to menus nationwide next year, kicking off on Sept. 24 with a test* in Knoxville, Tennessee. We’ve taken our classic chalupa shell and stuffed it with a cheese blend of real pepper jack and mozzarella so there is delicious melty cheese throughout.