The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation is investigating an officer-involved shooting that occurred in Pushmataha County, Okla., in the early hours of May 30, leaving one deceased.
Based on the OSBI’s initial investigation, this is what is known so far:
- At 2:44 a.m., Pushmataha County Deputies initiated a traffic stop west of Antlers. Deputies made contact with a male driver and a female passenger.
- The suspect drove away from the traffic stop and deputies pursued several miles on rural Pushmataha County roads.
- The suspect stopped the vehicle and deputies approached. As the passenger was being removed from the vehicle, the suspect attempted to drive away again, striking a deputy with the vehicle.
- One deputy discharged his firearm at the suspect resulting in the suspect’s death.
- The suspect died at the scene. One deputy received medical attention for a non-life-threatening injury.
- The name of the suspect will be released after the next of kin is notified.
No additional information is being released at this time.
– FROM OSBI –
The information is based on an active and ongoing investigation. The OSBI’s initial understanding of the facts and circumstances may evolve over the course of the investigation as witnesses are interviewed and evidence is collected and analyzed.
Upon completion of the OSBI investigation, agents will submit a report summarizing their investigation to the District Attorney’s Office. The District Attorney will determine whether or not to file charges. The OSBI does not release the name of the deputies involved unless the District Attorney determines charges should be filed.