The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is warning consumers to immediately stop using and dispose of Carrara Magnetic Ball Sets because the loose, hazardous magnets pose a risk of serious injury or death if ingested by children.
CPSC testing determined the Magnetic Ball Sets do not comply with the requirements of the mandatory federal toy regulation because they contain one or more magnets that fit within CPSC’s small parts cylinder and the magnets are stronger than permitted.
When high-powered magnets are swallowed, the ingested magnets can attach to each other, or another metal object, and become lodged in the digestive system. This can result in perforations, twisting and/or blockage of the intestines, infection, blood poisoning and death.
CPSC estimates 2,400 magnet ingestions were treated in hospital emergency departments from 2017 through 2021. CPSC is aware of seven deaths involving the ingestion of hazardous magnets, including two outside of the United States.
CPSC issued a Notice of Violation to the seller, MXN Commerce Inc., of South Korea, doing business as myKmarket.com, but the firm has not agreed to recall these magnetic ball sets or offer a remedy to consumers.
The magnetic ball sets were sold online at myKmarket.com for about $23. The sets were sold in a set of multi-colored magnetic balls in the form of a cube. The sets were sold encased in a clear plastic case in a portable tin storage box.
CPSC urges consumers to stop using the Magnetic Ball Sets immediately, take them away from children, and dispose of them.
Report any incidents involving injury or product defect to CPSC at www.SaferProducts.gov.