Baby Gunn’s Animal Rescue president was rushed to the hospital after being found unresponsive in the transport van at a gas station due to possible carbon monoxide poisoning early Sunday morning in Sullivan, Missouri.
Carla Stowe, founder and president of Baby Gunn’s Animal Rescue was transporting dogs to their adopted homes when she stopped at a gas station. After noticing the van hadn’t moved in a while, Shanna Green, Stowe’s daughter, tried contacting her multiple times with no answer. She then contacted the police, “saving Stowe’s life.”
Adoptions Coordinator Sheri Ashford said her heart sank when she got the call at about 2:20 a.m. on Sunday.
“I didn’t know what to think,” she said. “Shanna called me and said there’s been an emergency, and all I could think of was a wreck. When she told me ‘unresponsive’ I had no idea. I was in shock, thinking stroke, but when I heard carbon monoxide poisoning my heart sank. We put those four fans on the dogs thinking that would keep them cooler and then they almost killed her and them.”
Ashford said Stowe is currently responsive but has a long road of recovery ahead. She said the dogs are doing well and were safely delivered to their homes Sunday night.
“We had two of our northern rescue girls come down, get the van and continue the drive safely after the fire department said the van was fine,” Ashford said.
Firefighters on the scene confirmed the generator caused the problem.
For a non-profit who frequently requests donations for animals, Baby Gunn’s Animal Rescue now asks for help toward hospital bills Stowe will soon acquire.
“She does not have insurance, and I know we beg for money all the time for dogs, but this time we need it for Carla,” Baby Gunn’s Animal Rescue posted on its social media page. “Anyone able to help, please do so or have any ideas for a fundraiser – we need one.”
To donate to Baby Gunn’s Animal Rescue, click here.